Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My take on education

I always hated it when I hear seniors tell their juniors when it comes to choose courses to choose something that they like. I seriously have a problem with that. To me, when it comes to choosing a course, there must be 2 main factors we must consider. They are: interest and the potential of the industry. Of course, you must try to score an equilibrium between the 2 factors because you can't have one without the other. Interest is the love for the industry that you would potentially work in. This is fairly important because you must realise that you would potentially be working in the industry for the next 30- 35 years. To me, potential in the industry means that you must take note of the industry and to see if it can be growing over the next 30 -35 while you working cause your job, promotion and pay all depends on it. Why I say it depends on both these factors because you must realise very often you get tired of working in the choosen field after working for a dozen years. Why? Office politics, skills upgrading, increase in work workload and stuff like that makes you damn piss. But then again you can't quit. Why? You probably started or just started a family, you got mortgages to pay, you got elderly parents and you want a decent lifestyle right? So you are left with no choice but to work. That is why potential in the industry is important. You must be sure that the industry can be growing so you can be sure of increments, promotions and bonuses. That is the reason I am so against people saying just choose whatever you like. It just piss me off cause they don't think before giving advice. And because of that alot of people find out too late in life and I guess they feel cheated. So I hope people might find what I say useful and helpful. Peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home